Try this easy and healthier alternative to pasta!!
I’m a HUGE fan of Spaghetti Squash
It’s light, has a great texture and is a great way to have “spaghetti” without feeling super weighted down after you’re done eating a serving.
When you combine it with a simple, tasty marinara sauce, spaghetti squash becomes a delicious, easy meal. Low calorie, plus taste … what’s not to love?
(Cooking time: 60 min, Serves 2, Calories per serving: 250)
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/8 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh basil
- 1/4 Tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 1/4 Tbsp. fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/4 lb. ground grass-fed beef*
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 dried bay leaf
*May substitute pea protein crumbles, ground buffalo, or ground turkey for beef
Instructions: Spaghetti Squash
1. Prick squash in multiple areas with fork.
2. Place squash in glass baking dish.
3. Bake for 40 minutes at 375° F.
4. Remove squash from oven and let cool. Cut length-wise with a knife.
5. Scoop the seeds and strings from the center of the squash and discard.
6. Gently scrape the edges of the squash with a fork to shred pulp into strands.
7. Transfer shredded pulp into a separate bowl and spray with cooking spray and mix well.
8. Strands should resemble cooked spaghetti.
Instructions: Marinara Sauce (Start while squash is baking)
1. Heat pan sprayed with cooking spray, onion, and celery over medium high heat.
2. Add herbs (except bay leaf), mushrooms, and carrots and cook for about 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
3. Pour in a bowl and set aside.
4. Brown meat over high heat for about 5–10 minutes, until cooked. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Add can of tomatoes, bay leaf, and bowl of vegetables to meat and bring to a boil.
6. Add ½ tsp. salt to and ¼ tsp. pepper to sauce. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
7. Serve sauce over squash in individual plates.