This saute is super-easy and goes well with steak, chicken, or fish. Veggies, like peppers and mushrooms, are packed with vitamins and minerals, yet low in calories and carbohydrate. Use simple, delicious ideas like this recipe to fill half your plate with nonstarchy veggies!
Makes 4 servings
- No Calorie Cooking Spray
- ½ pound crimini mushrooms, cut in half, or 2 medium portabellas, thinly sliced
- 1 large bell pepper (red, orange, or yellow), sliced very thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups arugula leaves (or any combination of mixed greens)
1. Heat cooking spray over medium heat in a large skillet.
2. Add mushrooms and bell peppers, and sauté until tender, about 7–10 minutes.
3. Add garlic, and sauté for 1 more minute.
4. Stir in the fresh or dried basil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, cooking over low heat until liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
5. Divide greens among 4 plates. Top with warm peppers and mushrooms, and serve immediately.