Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Serves: 4 servings
A perfect weekday dinner this recipe is a great one! Get the feeling of being home with Mom’s Poached Fish in Velvety Tomato Sauce recipe clients love from my AHealthierU app.
- No calorie Cooking Spray
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 (15-ounce) can of fire-roasted chopped tomatoes
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon of curry powder (optional)
- 2 bunches of kale, rinsed and chopped
- 1 pound of fresh, firm, white fish (cod, halibut, haddock), cut into 3-inch pieces
- ½ cup of chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Heat a large saucepan sprayed with cooking spray over medium-low heat.
2. Saute the onion until it’s translucent, 5-7 minutes, then add the garlic, ginger, tomatoes, salt, black pepper, and curry powder, if desired. Cook for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
3. Add the kale to the sauce, and cook for another 10 minutes or until kale is softened.
4. Add the fish, cover it, and cook until opaque, which is about 8-10 minutes (be careful not to overcook). The fish will add its own liquid to the dish.
5. Serve with the sauce and kale, and sprinkle with fresh parsley. The leftover fish in the tomato sauce can be refrigerated for up to two days.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 ounces fish, 1 cup kale): calories 258, fat 9g, saturated fat 1g, cholesterol 62mg, fiber 3g, protein 30g, carbohydrates 16g, sodium 310mg