Looking for a healthy salmon cake recipe? These Baked Salmon Cakes are packed with flavorful vegetables and baked instead of fried. Bonus!…They are a healthy source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids
- 1 tablespoon of grape seed oil
- 6 ounces of cooked salmon or 1 (8-ounce) can of wild salmon
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ cup of finely chopped almonds
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of almond meal, or more if desired
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Preheat the oven to 435 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet with the oil, and then put it in the oven on the top rack to preheat.
2. In a medium bowl, shred the salmon into small flakes with two forks. If using canned salmon, pour the liquid from the can into the bowl, too.
3. Add the onion, egg, almonds, salt, and pepper. Mix it well.
4. Stir in the almond meal. Test the mixture to see if it holds its shape and doesn’t seem to be falling apart. if it is still loose and mushy, add a couple more tablespoons of almond meal, mix, and test again. Once you are able to shape the salmon cakes, form two large, equal patties.
5. Season both sides of the cakes for taste with salt and pepper, and put them on the preheated baking sheet. Slide the tray back into the oven and bake on the top rack for 20 minutes, turning the cakes often after the first 10 minutes of cooking.
6. Remove the salmon cakes from the oven when they are golden brown and slightly crisp on both sides. Let them cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack before serving. Serve with the lemon wedges.