Leave the carbs behind this weekend and these Inside Out Burgers from my HealtherU app!! These burgers are so good, they will haunt your thoughts… no doubt about it! As the title suggests, they’re inspired by the famous In and Out burger chain in California.
Prep Time: 10 minutes (plus 15 minutes resting in fridge)
Cook Time: 15 minutes | Serves: 4
- No Calorie Cooking Spray
- ½ cup of red onion, diced
- ½ cup of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 small tomato, diced, liquids drained,
- or 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces dround bison (can substitute ground grass-fed beef or turkey)
- 8 outer leaves of romaine lettuce
1. Heat pan sprayed with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Then, stir in mushrooms.
2. Add balsamic vinegar and stir. Cook for 5 minutes occasionally stirring a few times
3. Add spinach and tomato, then cook for another minute. Stir in mustard and turn off the heat. Season it with salt and pepper and drain off excess liquid and reserve. Cool it in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
4. Form bison into 4 evenly sized balls. With your fingers, make a well shape in the center of each ball. Stuff about 2 tablespoons spinach mixture inside each ball. Seal the top and flatten to form a patty.
5. Grill or broil your burgers.
To grill: Heat your grill pan using a little cooking spray. When hot, grill each patty for about 2-3 minutes on each side or when desired doneness is reached. Repeat as needed depending on pan size.
To broil: Set oven broiler to “high.” Place patties on a foil-lined baking sheet on top oven rack. Broil for about 3 minutes, flip patties over, and broil for about another 2-3 minutes or until burgers reach desired droneness.
6. Let the burgers rest for a couple of minutes.
7. Take 2 romaine leaves and sandwich your burger between them.
Nutritional analysis per serving (1 burger): calories 347, fat 21g, saturated fat 8g, cholesterol 94mg, fiber 5g, protein 30g, carbohydrates 9g, sodium 160mg