1 medium eggplants, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
2 ripe tomatoes
1 large red peppers, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium zucchini, scrubbed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 heaping tablespoons capers, rinsed
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
salt and black pepper
1/8 cup white wine or cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1. Put the eggplant in a colander in the sink and generously sprinkle with salt. Let sit for an hour. Rinse and pat dry.
2. Heat the tomatoes in a pan over low heat for about 15 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt, then mash them with the back of a spoon.
3. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously oil a large roasting pan.
4. Combine the vegetables, garlic, capers, bay leaf, thyme and salt and pepper in the pan.
5. Combine the vinegar and sugar and heat just until the sugar melts.
6. Add the mixture and the olive oil to the vegetables, then mix.
7. Cover the baking pan with foil and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, turning the vegetables several times during the baking, until the vegetables are cooked through.
8. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the vegetables to cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve at room temperature.