We Don’t DRINK Enough
It’s true most of us do not drink nearly enough water.
Yea you say “so why should I care? I mean really, I drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day and glass or two of water over the course of the day, surely that is enough, right?” Well you’re not alone, the average person consumes 2.5 glasses of water per day.
In fact you should be drinking ½ of your body weight (in lbs.) in ounces. A 180 lb. person should be drinking 90 ounces of water per day, that’s 11 cups or water or 2.6 liters. And If you are exercising you should be drinking well in excess of that.
And why should you care?
Here are the top 6 reasons why you should DRINK MORE:
- It promotes weight loss
- Increases energy and relieves fatigue
- Flushes out toxins from our body
- Boosts our immune system
- Improves regularity
- Improves skin composition
What can I drink?
Keeping your body very well hydrated is always important, especially so when you are doing intermittent fasting. When the body is in nutritional ketosis (meaning burning fat) you will find that you need to urinate more frequently and for this reason the body needs even more water. This is a natural reaction to fasting as water is a byproduct of burning fat. Also drinking water helps take one’s mind off of food if you “think you are hungry.”
Often when we think we are hungry, what the body really needs is water.
- Water – make it interesting by adding lemon, cucumber, basil, mint, a few berries anything to make it interesting from vegetables, herbs and fruit. Drink it hot or cold
- Herbal teas
- Stay away from diet drinks and artificially flavoured drinks
- Coffee is allowed but does not count towards your water as it dehydrates the body
So make the decision today to take another step in improving your health by simply drinking more good old H20. Your body will thank you for it.
Stay tuned for some upcoming recipes on what my clients are putting in their “drinks” to make drinking more … more exciting!